The Suttons Bay Railroad Depot is a one-story, hip roof, fieldstone wall building that was built in 1919 by the Leelanau Transit Company. The exterior walls of locally gathered uncoursed rounded cobblestones give the modest building an Arts-and-Crafts-inspired finish. A continuous deep overhang around the entire perimeter of the building shelters the walls and trackside platform. The Depot stands between the main track of the road (built 1903; west side of the depot) and a siding (acquired and probably built in 1907; east side) and faces west.
Built in 1919 as a passenger and freight station on the Leelanau Transit Company railroad line, the building is the more intact of two similar uncoursed, rounded fieldstone depots on the former line. The depot is one of a small collection of public buildings on the Leelanau Peninsula in Michigan's northwestern Lower Peninsula which are landmarks because of their walls built from the plentiful local supply of rounded cobblestones left behind by the glaciers of the last ice age.
The depot was used between 1919-1947.